PESTICIDE RESIDUE ON FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
Based on recent U.S. Government tests, on 46 popular fruits and vegetables, The Environmental Working Group (EWG), a non profit consumer watchdog group, came up with a list of 12 commercially grown fruits and vegetables that have the highest levels of toxic pesticide residue. EWG is a not-for-profit environmental research organization committed to improving public health and protecting the environment by reducing pollution in air, water and food.
The pesticides used in commercial farming are full of toxins that attack the nervous system, reproductive system, immune system, etc................ and young children are especially at risk for being harmed by these chemicals.
** Therefore, it would be wise to grow some of these fruits and vegetables in your Organic Home Garden.
THE MOST CONTAMINATED FRUITS & VEGETABLES:
- PEACHES: Over 94% tested positive for traces of 45 different pesticides.
- CELERY: 94% tested positive for 29 different pesticides.
- APPLES: 92% tested positive for 36 pesticides.
- SWEET BELL PEPPERS: 68% tested positive for 39 different pesticides.
- CHERRIES: 91% tested positive for 25 different pesticides.
- IMPORTED GRAPES: 86% tested positive for 35 different pesticides.
- NECTARINES: 97% tested positive for 26 different pesticides.
- PEARS: 94% tested positive for 35 different pesticides.
- POTATOES: 79% tested positive for 29 different pesticides.
- RASPBERRIES: 59% tested positive for 39 different pesticides.
- SPINACH: 83% tested positive for 36 different pesticides.
- STRAWBERRIES: 90% tested positive for 36 different pesticides.
THE LEAST CONTAMINATED FRUITS AND VEGETABLES:
- SWEET CORN
- SWEET PEAS